With the current crisis, business professionals are finding themselves isolated and working from home, leaning on video strategies for conferences, sales calls, and team meetings.
I’m currently isolating myself for the next week since a friend of mine was exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19, so I decided to put together some tips to help you better leverage video as your communication medium.
Home Office Video Tips
With the uncertainty of the economy, you must be empathetic to the challenges of every prospect and customer. You must be a confident source of assistance to every prospect and customer. Long-term strategies are largely being ignored as companies hunker down and think tactically. Video is a means to overcome some of the distance challenges we have with the human connection, but you have to optimize that experience as well.
For video, you need a mindset, the logistics, the messaging strategy, and the platforms to maximize the engagement and impact of your message.
Isolation, stress, and uncertainty can impact how we’re viewed. Here are things you can do to improve your personal mindset as well as how you’re perceived by your viewer.
- Gratitude – Before you get on video, meditate on what you’re thankful for.
- Exercise – We are largely immobile. Get exercise to clear your head, eliminate stress, and build endorphins.
- Dress for Success –it’s time to take a shower, shave, and dress for success. It will make you feel more confident and your recipient will get a great impression as well.
- Scene – Don’t stand in front of a white wall. An office with some depth and earthy colors behind you will be much more inviting with warm lighting.
Home Office Video Logistics
Minimize any issues you’re going to have with audio quality, video quality, disruptions, and connectivity issues.
- Hardwire – Do not rely on Wifi for video and audio, run a temporary cable from your router to your laptop.
- Sound – Do not use external speakers to listen, use earbuds.üAudio – Audio is key, get a great microphone or use your headset microphone to reduce background noise.
- Breathe & Stretch – Use diaphragmatic breathing before your video so you’re not starved for oxygen. Stretch your head and neck before starting.
- Eye Contact – Position your camera at or above eye level and look at the camera throughout.
- Disruption – Turn notifications off on your phone and desktop.
Business Video Communication Strategies
Video is a powerful medium, but you need to utilize it for its strengths so that you can have the maximum impact.
- Brevity– Don’t waste people’s time. Practice what you’re going to say and get directly to the point.
- Empathy – Not knowing your viewer’s personal situation, you may wish to avoid humor.
- Provide Value – In these unsure times, you need to provide value. If you’re just trying to make a sale, you’re going to be ignored.
- Share Resources – for additional information where your viewer can self-research deeper.
- Offer Assistance – Provide the opportunity for your prospect or client to follow up. This isn’t a sale!
Types of Video Platforms
- Webinar, Conference and Meeting Platforms – Zoom, Uberconference, and Google Hangouts are all great conferencing software for 1:1 or 1:Many meetings. They can also be recorded and promoted to a wide audience.
- Social Media Live Platforms – Facebook and YouTube Live are fantastic social video platforms for sharing with large audiences.
- Sales & Email Video Platforms – Loom, Dubb, BombBomb, Covideo, OneMob enable you to pre-record with your screen and camera. Send animations in email, get alerted, and integrate with your CRM.
- Video Hosting – YouTube is still the second largest search engine! Put it there and optimize it. Vimeo, Wistia, and other business platforms are outstanding as well.
- Social Media – LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram all allow you to leverage all your social channels to share and promote the videos in their native formats. Beware that each platform has limitations on the length of your video.
I hope these provide some assistance as you work with video from home in this crisis!